New Scholarships for Older Women

Feb 10, 2010 22 Comments by

While many students who hunt for scholarships are attending college as 18-year-olds just out of high school, this is not always the case. Some students are older and others still aim to return to school to gain new skills. A recently announced scholarship aims to help them out.

The AARP Foundation wants to encourage older female students to return to school with its scholarship program open to low-income women currently living in Illinois. There will be funds available from $500 to $5,000, and up to 100 scholarships will be awarded.  That will be a great boost to those who only qualified for student loans and grants.

The Women’s Scholarship Program was established back in 2007 to give women 40 years of age and older the chance to return to school. Scholarship recipients can enroll in further education or training programs from accredited institutions in order to advance their professional careers.

“In this economy, it is vital that women have access to the education and job training resources they need to advance their professional goals,” explained AARP Illinois state president, Mary Dee, when describing the scholarship program.

Since many older adults are getting online degrees, this scholarship is a great way to help them pay for their education. Combined with grants for online school, it makes getting degree attainable for many women.

Applications for this scholarship will be accepted until March 31, 2010.

Scholarships

22 Responses to “New Scholarships for Older Women”

1. Virneda Wilkerson-Graves says:

WOW! I was so excited to find this, I did not realize a place like this exsited for older women like myself.

Thanks for the reply Virneda! Actually there are sorts of scholarships for older women and women alike – you just have to find them and apply. But it is well worth it!

3. Yvette D. Thomas says:

Please send me more information about all types of financial support for women and older women and for individuals who wish to obtain a four-year degree in Psychology and Economics and Filmmaking and Cinema Photograpy
    and Environmental Law, Entertainment Law, and Corporate Law.

4. Katie says:

Such great information that can help women, such as myself, who have been out of the education realm to help place us back on our feet. I have been looking to go back and continue my education, and your article has helped to motivate me!

5. martha says:

Wow, what a great article. I just retired and want to go back to school and get a bachelors degree. If I call the AARP, can I get more information about this?

6. barbara says:

Wow, what a great idea. I am recently retired and have always wanted to go back to college and get my bachelors degree. As you can imagine, I cannot afford the tuition on my social security and pension. How do I go about signing up for this? I am ready to start.

7. grandy says:

I am in my late 60′s and have always wanted to go back to school to finish a degree I started many years ago to become a social psychologist. I have been unable to go back and finish due to financial restraints. I am so happy to read about this financial aid and will now look into finishing my degree.

8. Barbara Borgman says:

This is such a great idea. I am 67 and have always wanted to go back to school for my bachelors degree. How hard is it for one who is already retired to get financial aid?

9. Linda says:

This make me feel so good. I recently lost my husband and now have to support myself. I thought about going back to school, but it seemed silly at my age. Now that I know I can go online and get financial aid, I may just do it.

10. daphne dire says:

This is such great information. I had always thought that now that I am 65 and not so marketable in the work force, that financial aid for school was out of the question. This give me new hope.

11. nick richard says:

My dad recently retired and would like to go back to school to get a degree. I know he would be too proud to apply for financial aid, but could I do it for him?

12. Rosella Vinci says:

I am over 60 and have my associated degree. I have always wanted to go back and complete my bachelors degree, but I work full time and would need to go online. Can I apply for this financial aid for my degree?

13. Top 5 Strangest Scholarships | SCUP says:

[...] New Scholarships for Older Women [...]

14. Eeffiiee says:

I was doing my administrative and master’s credential, however, I stopped because I was being displaced and my salary lowered. I own financial aid money that needs to be payed back. Help!

15. Jacob says:

In this economy I’ve seen many people become laid off from jobs they’ve held for years. Thankfully there’s aid to help them learn relevant skills in the new workplace.

16. Mobeen Mirza says:

You can find easy scholarships for women anywhere, as a matter of fact programs are being held to attain scholarships such as essay writing or educational contest, like spelling, mathematical, chemical, engineering etc, and the winner of this essay writing or contest can be award a scholarship where their school fee would be paid and accommodation and up keep would be given as the price money for you.

17. mohsin mirza says:

write an original essay and always be at yourself. Writing something meaningful about your feelings, thoughts and beliefs that may add spice to your essay. Do not rush it and write it in five minutes. This will show.

18. Mobeen Mirza says:

Perhaps you want to finish that degree you started. Or maybe you already have a career and would like to further your prospects by getting some educational qualifications. Or perhaps you just feel like you need to start a new challenge in your life by becoming a scholar. Whatever your need, you should start looking now.

19. bessie mabambe says:

got a place to study at bradford university in the uk starting this september but i dont have money for tuition which is almost 10000p iam lookong fo r a scolarship to realise my dream

Hi Rosella. There are many forms of financial aid available for students. I’d recommend looking into scholarships and grants first to see what you are eligible for.

Hi Nick. Your dad would have to file himself as many forms ask for a signature ensuring that the information the applicant has provided is true and correct.

22. Janise Aderholdt says:

checking things out, need to read some more of your posts before I give an opinion