Online College Students Benefit From Plentiful Student Loans

Apr 14, 2010 14 Comments by

As more employers have raised their minimum qualifications in the recent months, earning a college degree is essential. Still, people eager to obtain a degree may be worried about the financial details of going to school, such as the ability to secure grants for college. Although there are several options for receiving financial aid, many students are wondering which type of loan they should apply for.

These individuals should realize that there are several opportunities for attaining student loans in order to pay for tuition. For example, federal grants such as Stafford loans are available to students at a fixed interest rate.

According to a study released by the Project on Student Debt, one in four private student loan borrowers opted not to borrow from the government.

“These data are troubling because private student loans are more like credit cards and have very little in common with federal student loans,” Lauren Asher, Acting President of the Institute for College Access & Success told the organization.

Individuals who are enrolled at a college or university may be happy to learn that the interest on government loans is decreasing. According to the Wall Street Journal, the current interest rate for Stafford loans is expected to drop 1 percent for the upcoming academic year. For the 2011-2012 year, these figures are projected to fall an additional 1 percent. That means students may accrue less interest after they graduate and be able to pay back what they borrow at a much faster rate.

Student Loans

14 Responses to “Online College Students Benefit From Plentiful Student Loans”

1. Susan Reckard says:

Is it possible to attend an online university on grants and scholarships alone without having to get a loan? It seems that the Stafford Loan is practically automatic with the FAFSA.

It is definitely possible to attend an online university on grants and scholarships alone – you just have to do the research and apply for plenty of scholarships. However, getting a student loan can help ease the stress of perhaps not having enough money.

3. Susan Kragen says:

How does one decide which loans, scholarships or grants to apply for. Obviously, those that do not need to be repaid are the most desirable, but how would one know if they are eligible?

4. susank says:

Is it possible to get financial aid if your credit score is not great, or if you have gone through a bankrupcy? How much informatin do you need to give in order to apply for one of these loans.

To find out if you are eligible for student loans and grants, you must first fill out the FAFSA. Don’t worry – you will have the chance to say no to a loan if you decide you don’t want it. As for scholarships, it is best to use a scholarship search tool on the web – these will let you know what you are eligible for.

6. abby says:

I work for a company that helps pay for tuition. Is it possible to get financial aid to pay for the portion that my employer does not cover?

7. nicholas says:

less interest makes me happy :) thanks for the article

8. Jared says:

student loans are what got me through school :D

9. Brenda Poe says:

I keep reading all of this stuff about financial aid. Is it really as easy as it sounds to go back to school and get financial aid?

10. delicatus says:

When I first enrolled for college, many of my loans were at fixed rates. When the recession first set in, some of the terms changed to allow a rolling interest rate. Do students who enroll in online courses get the same amount of financial aid as one who attends the physical classroom?

Hi Brenda. The decision to go back to school can be a difficult one to make but there are dozens of resources available for you in order to find the right school and get financial aid.

12. Carl says:

I know my credit is really bad. I lost my job, house, car, etc. Is there any student loan I can qualify for? I really want to get my life back on track. I plan to work any jobs I can get and go to school online. What do you suggest?

Hi Carl. I would suggest applying for federal financial aid and scholarships. There are many ways to fund your education, you just have to find what is right for you.

Hey Delicatus. The amount of financial aid you receive depends on what you are applying for. For the most part many look at your financial need in terms of your income and how much you will be paying for school regardless of it is online or on-campus.