Need Help Paying for School? Research State Grants

Sep 01, 2010 37 Comments by

Finding a way to pay for college can be one of the main barriers to obtaining a degree. As the number of professions that require a college degree continues to grow, so too has the expense of many traditional and online universities.

Student loans have become a popular way for individuals to pay their tuition, but many students are not eager to start their professional lives with thousands of dollars of debt. This has made college grants an attractive option for many students looking to pay for school.

Unlike loans, grants do not have to be paid back, lowering the barriers to education without holding students back after they graduate.

The Pell Grant is a program administered by the federal government from which many students have benefited. The amount a student receives from this fund is determined by their financial need, but it can provide up to $5,350 per year for tuition and other expenses.

Grants can come from many sources, whether they are government programs or nonprofit agencies. Doing some research can reveal many other college grants that can help students pay their educational expenses. For instance, the Department of Education has a page that lists all of the states’ education sites.  These sites are a great resource for finding grants.

Wherever the money comes from, college grants help many students obtain a degree that can make it easier to find a well-paying job.

College Grants

37 Responses to “Need Help Paying for School? Research State Grants”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks for the article, I was so stressed about how I was going to pay for next semester!

2. Paulie says:

Thanks for the heads up, this info is going to come in handy for sure

3. Bruce says:

what is the rate of approval for these kinds of grants?

4. Daily Online Marketing Digest for September 7th says:

[...] Shared Need Help Paying for School? Research State Grants | Education Connection Blog. [...]

5. Hank says:

During my time in college, I received several college grants. Some of them I had to specifically apply for, others I simply received. Is the amount of aid offered by state grants lower due to budget cuts?

6. Danny says:

Grants are a great form of financial aid since you don’t have to pay them back. I never had to apply for any specifically and they greatly lowered the cost of my tuition. How often do colleges give their own grants as opposed to those from other public or private sources?

7. Devin says:

Thanks for this article, are grants easy to qualify for?

Most grant eligibility depends on your financial need and institution.

9. sandra godfrey says:

I want to go back to school, but I not eligibility for financial aid because of this outstanding loan of 2500.00 Is there someway I can put a hold on this, until I get my degree for a better paying job.

10. Todd says:

I like the idea of getting grants and scholarshiips. Is it true that this form of financial aid does not need to be repaid?

11. Paint by the Numbers, the College Edition | SCUP says:

[...] Need Help Paying for School? Research State Grants [...]

12. George says:

How do you go about applying for a college grant?

13. Danielle Johnson says:

This is such good news. Can I get these types of grants to go to school online?

14. Jessica Festerly says:

College grants could be such a great help. I am definately going to look into this. I love the idea that they don’t have to be repaid.

15. Mandy Forman says:

I really could use some help from a college grant. I already have a few student loans and don’t want to add to my debt. What do I need to qualify for a grant?

16. Lula says:

This is great information. How do I find out if my state offers this financial aid?

17. Wendy Wolley says:

This is great information. Does one need to apply for this aid before starting colllege, or can you get it once you have started?

18. Darrin Smiley says:

I am in my junior year of college and already have quite a few student loans. I have no idea where I am going to get the money to pay for senior year. Are these grants and loans based on grades?

19. Veronica says:

I never though of checking with my state for a grant. I started looking after reading this article and will definately persue that avenue, thanks.

20. Kris says:

I recently finished school and got the money to pay for it from the state I live in. It is a great resource for funding for college.

21. Carl says:

I just checked out your link. Thanks so much – my state has some really good grants I am going to apply for!

Hello Darrin. State grants eligibility depends from state to state. Many do request that students maintain a certain status (such as full- or part-time) and a certain GPA. Go to your state’s higher education website to see what is available for your senior year. Good luck!

Hi Wendy. The majority of state grants are applied for once you file your FAFSA. The deadline dates for the FAFSA vary from state to state, but the earlier you apply the better! You can apply for the FAFSA around your senior year; for example if you are beginning in the fall immediately after graduation I’d recommend applying in January. Speak to a financial aid advisor at your college/university or a guidance counselor at your high school for further information and instruction.

Hi Lula. The best way to find out what financial aid your state offers is to go to your state’s higher education website. Another way is to talk to a financial aid advisor at a college/university you’re considering; or if you’re still in high school to a guidance counselor. Good luck!

Hey Mandy. The qualifications depend on the state you live in. If you haven’t filed your FAFSA yet, definitely do so as many state grants will figure out if your qualified by your FAFSA.

Hey George. More often than not state grants are applied for as soon you file your FAFSA. The state and your school will receive your FAFSA information and decide if you are eligible. Some schools require a separate application; check your state’s higher education website to see how and if you need to apply.

Hey Danielle. State grant eligibility varies from state to state. You’ll need to check with your state to see if online degree programs are covered or excluded.

Hey Danny. Many schools offer at least one grants for their students if not more. Check out your school’s financial aid office to see what kinds of scholarships and grants they offer their students.

Hey Hank. The amount of aid offered by states continue to go up and down and changes almost yearly. Check with your state’s higher education website for more information on state grants.

30. todd says:

This sure makes me feel better about the possibility of me going back to school.

31. Matty says:

Getting the money together for college is a very stressful issue. My parents won’t pay for me to go to school because I goofed off and did not go when they wanted me to. Now that I am in my 20s I want to go so I need financial aid. Any suggestions.

Hi Matty. Check out the financial aid section on educationconnection.com to learn more about various financial aid opportunities that may be available if you qualify. You may also speak to a financial aid advisor at the school you plan to attend to learn more about what financial aid options they may offer.

Hey Bruce. The eligibility requirements for state grants vary therefore the rate of approval for each is difficult to determine.

Hey Todd. The majority of grants and scholarships do not need to be repaid, however, make sure you read all the fine print as some may require that you pay back the money should you fail to meet a certain GPA, course load, etc.

Hey Sandra. You’ll need to contact your student loan company to see if they offer any form of hardship and to see if you qualify.

36. Alesia Braam says:

I will immediately seize your rss as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Hello. Our RSS feed can be found at the top righthand corner of the homepage.