Cheaters Never Prosper, but Their Ghost Writers Do

Nov 23, 2010 13 Comments by

Google searches for “buy college paper” bring up 13.6 million results; “buy term papers” 7.5 million results; “buy college essays online 6.27 million results. You don’t have to look far to find someone who will write your college essay/thesis/research paper or complete a simple worksheet. They are your roommates, classmates, or a stranger you contact via email.

Stories and articles about student cheating in college have some professors and parents worried. How could this be happening and why are we spending so much money on education when students aren’t even doing their work. My biggest confusion with all of this is how educators and parents don’t understand that this is not new.

A quick craigslist search led me to dozens of ads in search of a good writer, researcher, proofreader and tutors. Students are desperate throughout the United States to get a passing grade. Some of the ads seemed genuine; they are looking for an unbiased opinion, someone to help them catch mistakes they missed. Others go straight to the point.

Some ads are aimed at those who want to make more than just a broke college student’s spare change.

I came across students willing to babysit or clean houses for a well written paper. Who knows what else they would trade for a great paper. Some students could not even form a proper sentence or take enough time to spell words correctly within the ads. Was it sheer laziness or actual inability?

But who is to blame; professors, students, the education system, parents? There is no real answer. There are dozens of resources for tips on writing research papers and college students have options like online courses to test out their ability to get through a college program.  Tutors and other university programs are also available for help.

An article in The Chronicle of Higher Education has spurred hundreds of comments and solutions, none of which any number of people can agree on. The scariest part of all of this, in the future we may have to entrust some of these students with our lives.

Get With the Program, Online Education

13 Responses to “Cheaters Never Prosper, but Their Ghost Writers Do”

1. Katy says:

This is becoming ridiculous! Yes, college is hard work, but that leads to the satisfaction you get when you finally have that diploma in your hand! I know a lot of students that think about going this route, but I couldn’t imagine getting caught!

2. Ryan Brown says:

I don’t understand how these students learn, when they do not do the exercise that is required for them to learn. I have taken classes and written papers and each paper got better becasue I learned from my prior mistakes.

3. Vicky Adams says:

In the end, the only one these people are cheating is themselves. Isn’t there a way for professors to find out by writing style that the person did not write the paper themselves?

4. Rick says:

What happens when you get to your job and you realize you don’t know how to do it because you paid people to get you through college?

5. Veena says:

You are completely right that this isn’t new. Students have been cutting corners and cheating for as long as there has been students. Well longer than the entire history of colleges as even a concept. While this doesn’t excuse what these students do there isn’t anything surprising about finding it online now a days.

6. Alicia says:

Even if I desperately needed a paper I would be too nervous to use some of these tactics. I can’t believe that they don’t get caught. If someone is selling papers – I imagine there is a good chance they have already sold that same paper and probably copied it somewhere off the internet to begin with!

7. Angel says:

I’ve seen ads like that on craigslist too. How crazy that people are paying for an education and then ripping themselves off like this. If you pay someone else to do your work, how will you ever learn what you need to know? I just don’t get it!

8. Carol Heminger says:

How often do students get caught doing this?

9. Patricia Rocher says:

I was in an english class and needed to turn in a 10 page paper for my final. One of the other students in the class had gotten a friend to write his paper for him and had no remorse. Isn’t there a way the instructors can tell when the studen did not write the paper themselves?

10. Joseph says:

Why bother paying for college if you are going to use other people’s work to graduate? Why not just buy a degree?

11. Monique says:

It’s a shame people resort to this. There should be harsher consequences for cheating.

Hi Patricia. Professors use a variety of methods to figure out if a student plagiarized their work or if it is not original. Unfortunately there are still loopholes and students still get away with it; it is a problem many schools and systems are working to fix.

Hi Carol. Professors have a variety of tools at their disposal to find out if a student’s work is unoriginal. Although not all students get caught, the risks associated with plagiarism and papers that are bought can include suspension or expulsion.