Exceptional Student Ed Master's
The Exceptional Student Education concentration is for those educators who wish to increase their knowledge base in the area of special education. It has been designed to provide the knowledge base needed for general educators who wish to expand their areas of certification. It is expected that students within this concentration will already possess teacher certification with an ESOL endorsement. Course work is offered through a blended format with expectations for assignments to be completed in K-12 schools.
Program graduates will be able to:
1. Articulate key concepts of the disciplines that inform exceptional student education and apply the integration of these disciplines;
2. Demonstrate a knowledge of how to provide a caring, safe, and student-centered learning environment;
3. Demonstrate reflective practice based on the institutional core values and their impact on use of disabilities knowledge;
4. Analyze and evaluate the multiple bases of curriculum development theory, research, and policy in exceptional student education to improve teaching and learning;
5. Apply knowledge of research-based instructional and assessment strategies in exceptional student education to improve teaching and learning;
6. Apply knowledge of exceptional student education theory and recommend practice in educational environments;
7. Become an accomplished educational practitioner as specified by the State of Florida Accomplished Practices and the Florida Subject Area Competencies in Exceptional Student Education;
8. Demonstrate an ability to effectively communicate, considering varied community and cultural factors, with diverse audiences (e.g., students, parents, colleagues, and community members), as well as involve such groups in effective instructional planning;
9. Demonstrate an ability to read and understand the professional literature relevant to exceptional student education practice and theory.
* Please Note: The program information on this page is for general college research purposes only. Filling out the College Finder form (to your right), will provide information from schools that match your criteria but may or may not include any schools that may be listed on this page.