MA in Mathematics Education K-6, 5-9, or 5-12
More focus than ever is being given to the global mathematics testing results of students, making it clear that that the need for highly trained mathematics teachers across the world is urgent. Teachers who wish to make a difference in mathematics education, curriculum development, and administration may be interested in completing a specialized M.A. in Mathematics Education for grades 5 - 12. People interested in an M.A. program in Mathematics Education for grades 5 - 12 will need to be certified as teachers for admission in most cases. Many programs also require at least an undergraduate minor in mathematics for admission to the program. M.A. in Mathematics Education programs generally take two to three years to complete, depending on whether the student is attending classes on a full-time or part time basis. Students can expect to complete a challenging curriculum focused on a number of issues related to teaching mathematics at the upper elementary, middle, and high school levels. M.A. in Mathematics Education Programs for 5 – 12 will prepare teachers to complete certification in their state or region for specialized mathematics education, as well as for a host of other jobs, including work in school districts developing mathematics programs, as professional development mathematics specialists, or in teacher training at colleges and universities.
- Adolescent Development: Theory and Research
- Curriculum and Assessment in School Mathematics
- Contemporary Issues in Science and Math: Gender Issues
- School Curriculum Development
- Classroom Teaching, Grades 5 - 12
- Professional Development and Administration in Mathematics Education
Colleges Offering Degree
- Western Governors University
- University of California San Diego
- New York University Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
* Please Note: The school information on this page is for general college research purposes only. Filling out the College Finder form (to your right), will provide information from schools that match your criteria but may or may not include the school listed on this page.