College Degrees

Master in English

People who have exceptional writing and critical thinking skills are more in demand in the workplace than ever. One of the best ways to expand that skill set if you already have a bachelor’s degree is to get a Master of Arts in English. An M.A. in English program is designed to give students advanced coursework in literary study, technical and creative writing, as well as linguistics and teaching. Programs take from one to two years to complete, depending on whether or not a student is enrolled full or part-time. Generally speaking, students can choose to specialize in a particular track related to English studies. Among some of the specialty tracks available are:

  • Composition and Rhetoric
  • Linguistics and Language
  • Multicultural Literature
  • Women’s and Gender Studies

An M.A. in English prepares graduates to teach English at the community college or junior college level. To teach in public school they will also need to be certified while a doctoral degree is required to teach at the baccalaureate level. Students who complete an M.A. in English will read and write about a great deal of literature and literary history and theory. While not all programs require a thesis, most programs at the Master’s level in English will require the presentation of a thesis. Students should be prepared to write a great number of papers while completing an M.A. in English.

Example Courses

  • Studies in Literary Theory and Criticism
  • Language and Linguistics for Teachers
  • Literary and Rhetorical Stylistics

Potential Industries

  • English Teacher (Certification May be Required)
  • Freelance Writer
  • Publishing and Journalism

Colleges Offering Degree

  • University of Michigan
  • Morehead State University
  • Weber State University

* Please Note: The program information on this page is for general college research purposes only. Filling out the College Finder form (to your right), will provide information from schools that match your criteria but may or may not include any schools that may be listed on this page.