BECOME A CERTIFIED NURSE MIDWIFE
Health care takes many forms and serves hundreds of functions. In the same way that a doctor in pediatrics cares for children and adolescents and surgeons operate on patients while diagnosticians specialize in identifying health problems beforehand, there are dozens more niche areas where other particular health care professionals are needed.
Certified nurse midwives are some of those niche health care providers. In the broad realm of medicine, certified nurse midwives specialize in providing care to women specifically, often focusing on prenatal care, labor and delivery. However, the duties of a certified nurse midwife can extend well beyond that. They also may conduct gynecological exams or help patients research family planning services. After delivery, nurse midwives may also provide assistance to mothers and newborns.
While certified nurse midwives may not work in the exact same context as other nurses, they still must achieve specific educational merits and certifications before practicing legally, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics[i]. This often requires taking exams, receiving a specified amount of training and more. For that reason, many hopeful certified nurse midwives look to online courses to gain more knowledge about the field and start pursuing a career. Moreover, many students may prefer online classes because they often do not require commuting and can be taken various times throughout the day.
Featured Online Schools
Southern New Hampshire University
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
- Offering over 200 online degrees
Popular Online Programs
Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…
Western Governors University
- An affordable way to earn your degree.
- Tuition around $4,000 a term – about half the cost of most other online universities.
- Over 60 accredited bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Programs start monthly – Apply free this week!
Available Online Programs
Business Management, Human Resource Management, Information Technology Management, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Healthcare Management, Elementary Education
- Save up to 25%. Save thousands on your bachelor’s with the Strayer Graduation Fund.
- Strayer University is an accredited institution with a proud history of 125 years in quality education.
- With the help of dedicated personal support and AI technology, earn your degree online or on campus.
Online Programs Include:
Accounting, Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, Business Administration, Criminal Justice & Information Technology
ARE ONLINE CERTIFIED NURSE MIDWIFE PROGRAMS FOR YOU?
Here are some things to consider when choosing a nurse practitioner program:
- All certified nurse midwives must earn a master’s degree in a related field from an accredited program before practicing, according to the BLS[i].
- Not only do these classes include relevant course subjects in anatomy, pharmacology and physiology, they also require students to complete programs outside of the classroom. All students are required to attain a certain amount of clinical experience to receive a degree.
- Along with a master’s degree, certified nurse midwives may also be required to receive certification by the American Midwifery Certification Board.
- Before signing up for online courses, make sure the course work covers the subjects necessary and is accredited. Also, inquire about possible clinical experience opportunities and how your learning in the classroom will prepare you for certification exams later.
CERTIFIED NURSE MIDWIFE CAREER PATHS AND POTENTIAL SALARIES[I]
Certified nurse midwives are incredibly important to many pregnant mothers and children. However, they are only responsible for one specific area of health care. Your time taking online courses may encourage you to pursue other areas as well. Explore your options with statistics compiled by the BLS.
See the BLS for annual median salary
Job growth through 2022: 31 percent (much faster than average)
Entry-level education: Master’s degree