Online Music Production Schools
Get Matched to an Online Music Production Program for FREE!
PURSUE YOUR PASSION FOR MUSIC WITH AN ONLINE DEGREE IN MUSIC PRODUCTION
Online music production schools enable those who want to turn their passion for music into a career as well as an art form. Music and audio production relies on talented performers and engineers to entertain and inspire people through music and film around the world. You may have spent your high schools days listening to music, maybe even playing an instrument, but if you really want to get into the groove and follow your passion, an online degree in music production may be the way to go.
Did You Know?
Sound engineers work in both live and studio settings: clubs, theaters, churches, and outdoor venues make way for live engineers, while mixing, broadcasting, and recording studios draw the studio engineers.
WHY GO TO AN ONLINE MUSIC PRODUCTION SCHOOL
No recipe exists to become a rock star. You can have a cool look, excellent songs, and first class musicianship – but that’s not a guarantee. In fact, that’s only one career path to choose in the world of music. Music is not only an art form but it’s also a science. Through those early years of playing and listening to music, you’ve learned all the subtle complexities of music and audio production.
Your talent as a musician, a playlist creator, or someone who understands the intricacies of music may be used as a sound engineer, a DJ, a music director, or a composer.
Music and sound professionals often spend their days in the studio – recording, mixing, and editing songs for musicians, film soundtracks, audio for commercials, and so much more. Other professionals may choose the live setting – outdoor and indoor venues such as stadiums, arenas, and clubs. Some musicians pursue and study music theory and compose or perform pieces for a band or an orchestra.
And still others who pursue a career in music production use their talents as sound designers, becoming experts at the digital software, microphones, amplifiers, and other sound equipment.
Whichever path you choose, an online degree in music and audio production may be an excellent beginning for a career in music.
INSIDE ONLINE MUSIC PRODUCTION SCHOOLS
Both associate and bachelor’s degree programs are available for many online music production schools. In associate programs, students are given a basic foundation in digital recording techniques as well as training them in software and studio equipment. In bachelor’s programs, students learn more advanced recording techniques and study music theory and history.
ASSOCIATE’S DEGREE PROGRAMS
These programs teach students the basics in audio production and recording. Students will train in industry software like Pro Tools and take courses in recording and production techniques like digital, multi-track, and concert recording. Students will also work with a variety of recording studio equipment like mixing boards, microphones, and amplifiers. Music business courses provide the basics in copyright, publishing, licensing, and more.
BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAMS
Alongside the basics in audio production and recording, as given in associate’s degree programs, online music production programs on the bachelor’s level take it to another level. They learn and develop critical listening skills and get more experience in recording, editing, and mixing in the recording studio. Students will take courses in music theory and composition, digital recording, and music business. At the end of the program, students will have assembled a portfolio of audio projects.
Featured Online Schools
Southern New Hampshire University
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
- Offering over 200 online degrees
Popular Online Programs
Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…
Western Governors University
- An affordable way to earn your degree.
- Tuition around $4,000 a term – about half the cost of most other online universities.
- Over 60 accredited bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Programs start monthly – Apply free this week!
Available Online Programs
Business Management, Human Resource Management, Information Technology Management, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Healthcare Management, Elementary Education
- Save up to 25%. Save thousands on your bachelor’s with the Strayer Graduation Fund.
- Strayer University is an accredited institution with a proud history of 125 years in quality education.
- With the help of dedicated personal support and AI technology, earn your degree online or on campus.
Online Programs Include:
Accounting, Data Analytics, Cybersecurity, Business Administration, Criminal Justice & Information Technology
CAREER PATHS IN MUSIC AND AUDIO PRODUCTION
Jazz, rock and roll, blues, trip hop, indie rock – as many music styles abound, as many music career paths abound, as well. Think about it: musician, singer, sound designer, dancer, composer – these are just a few of the paths those with a passion and talent for music pursue. Many of these paths involve music in unexpected ways. Below are some opportunities to consider.
- Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technicians – In this role, technicians work behind the scenes to produce music for soundtracks, concerts, and television and radio programs. Job titles vary, as the focus may be on either audio or video, depending on your interest. Technicians will use software such as Pro Tools or GarageBand to record, edit, and mix music.
- Music Directors – Often called conductors, music directors lead performances of choirs, bands, soloists, orchestras, or others groups and ensembles. Directors also audition new performers, choose musical pieces, attend rehearsals, and more.
- Composers – These talented individuals write original music, which is used for television and movie scores, live performances, advertising jingles, and more. Composers use software and instruments to write music, they collaborate with lyricists, and work in a variety of genres or specialize in specific style.
- Musicians and Singers – They make the music happen, they realize songs and compositions. No matter what genre a musician or singer specializes in, they create and perform. They rehearse regularly, they constantly work to improve their style and technique, they often perform with a number of different groups or ensembles, and they may sing or play in multiple styles and genres. Commitment and passion for their craft helps push their career forward and opens up more paying opportunities. Musicians and singers play in a variety of live and studio settings.
MUSIC AND AUDIO PRODUCTION – THE SALARY SCENE
As a music and audio production specialist, your salary is often determined by your level of education, your job title, your knowledge, and your industry experience. Here’s a snapshot of current positions and annual median salaries from the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2017:
BROADCAST AND SOUND ENGINEERING TECHNICIANS – $42,440
Technicians usually require either an associate’s degree or a postsecondary nondegree. [i]
Salary Detail: Content
MUSIC DIRECTORS AND COMPOSERS – $50,590
A bachelor’s degree is often required for a choir director; for a conductor of a symphony orchestra or a music director usually need a master’s degree.[ii]
Salary Detail: Content
MUSICIANS AND SINGERS – $26.96 PER HOUR
A professional musician and singer may quire the knowledge and skills through training and regular practice and performing. [iii]
Salary Detail: Content
The job scene for music and audio production varies depending on which career path you choose. Some careers like choreographers may have more opportunities then sound engineers. But even that’s not a guarantee. Growth in music occupations may be affected by technology or funding for the arts. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job openings are expected within many areas due to music professionals who may be retiring or leaving.
Salary Detail: Content
OPENING THE DOORS TO ONLINE MUSIC PRODUCTION SCHOOLS
Now that you’ve discovered the many music opportunities to pursue at music production schools, it’s time to put your plan into action. Begin your search for Music and Audio Production schools here. Our sponsored listings include a variety of programs in music and audio production. Remember to get the details from each of the schools your choose, keep a calendar on application deadlines, and make an educated and informed decision about your music production education.
Salary Detail: Content
bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/careers-for-music-lovers.htm; cvtips.com/career-choice/sound-engineer-career-facts.html; study.com/articles/Online_Schools_with_Music_Production_Degree_Programs_and_Majors.html