Online Business Degree Programs
Get matched to an Online Business Degree Program for FREE!
WHAT IS AN ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREE?
An online business degree can teach students to solve problems facing businesses. Most online business degree programs offer core business courses such management and operations. The goal of these courses is to give you a solid grasp of business concepts. These concepts can help students learn how to solve problems and make decisions. Learning the basic principles are some of the skills you may need to achieve career goals.
Career paths in this field include areas like marketing, finance, accounting, and HR. Some business administration programs even prepare you for a niche industries. For example, you could study real estate or sports management. You can choose to earn a general degree in business administration. Or, pick a specialty that focus on one core area such as marketing. Online business degrees are also available at different degree levels. You can Start with an AAS, BA or BSBA. If you want to earn your master’s you may be able to find a bridge program to earn a bachelors and MBA at the same time.
TYPES OF ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREE PROGRAMS
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA)
M.B.A. Masters in Business Administration
Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.)
|This program focuses on the basics of running a business. Compared to a BBA, these degrees are math and analytical oriented.||Students learn about the modern practice of management. Gain a better understanding of legal and policy issues, economics, and marketing.||The DBA deepens business knowledge for current professionals. Gain leadership positions via a better understanding how the key parts of a company work and connect.|
|Course Examples||Course Examples||Course Examples|
ONLINE BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN BUSINESS
At the Bachelor’s level, business programs focus on basic knowledge. You may start with general courses, like math and the principles of economics. Many programs also offer the chance to take a concentration. For instance, you could focus on finance, marketing, HR or data analytics.
Most Bachelor’s in business programs fall into one of three categories:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA). This program tends to cover a general overview of business. You’ll study subjects like economics, accounting, and marketing.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA). This program may focus on STEM, alongside business topics. Expect higher level math courses.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (BABA). This program may include liberal arts courses, along with business courses. For instance, you could study history, english, and marketing.
MASTER’S DEGREES IN BUSINESS & MBAs
Business students tend to choose from two kinds of Masters in Business Programs
- Master of Business Administration (MBA). MBA programs tend to take a big picture approach to business. Students take courses in areas like management, organizational behavior, and finance. MBA programs strive to give a broad overview of business leadership. These programs may ask for work experience.
- Master of Science in Business (M.S.). M.S. in Business programs usually drill down on one area of expertise. For instance, you could study business analytics or supply chain management in depth. Another key way that they differ is that you may not need as much work experience to pursue an M.S., compared to an MBA.
DOCTORAL BUSINESS PROGRAMS
At the doctoral level, students further delve into business theory and practice. Programs feature advanced courses like graduate level statistics. Business research may play a big role in earning this type of degree. Usually, you must research and write a dissertation to earn a doctorate in business.
If you want to study business at the doctoral level, you’ll generally find two types of program:
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). DBA programs are usually aimed at people already in the business world. You’ll study business theory you could apply within a company. If your goal is solving business problems using existing theories, earning a DBA may be ideal.
- PhD in Business. PhD programs focus on original research in business. Instead of applying theories, students may create and test new ones. So, a PhD in Business may be ideal for those who want to conduct research or teach.
Featured Online Schools
- No application fee for April & June terms.
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…
- Ranked #8 by U.S.News & World Report for Best Online Bachelor’s Programs
- Apply up to 90 transfer credits for bachelor’s students, and 9 transfer credits for master’s degree students.
- CSU Global graduates experience a return on investment of 4:1, which means they receive $4 in salary and benefits for every $1 they invest in their education.
Business, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, IT, Psychology…
- Offering two quality, competency based online learning formats: FlexPath and GuidedPath.
- FlexPath lets you set your own deadlines and move through courses at your own speed.
- GuidedPath offers structured learning with a virtual course room and weekly schedule.
- With FlexPath, you can earn your degree in 12 months and under $11,500. Assumes accelerated pace. Price varies based on your pace and transfer credits. Other fees may apply.
Business, Counseling, Psychology, IT, Nursing, Social Work
Online Business Degree: Courses You’ll Study
Business courses at the undergrad and grad level are similar from college to college. Business Administration programs cover a wide breadth of various key business concepts. These courses aim to teach you how to manage people and data in many different business settings. You should learn how successful leaders operate, and how to work in a team environment. Decision making and problem solving skills are also a key area explored. Course examples include:
Organizational Behavior: Learn about the different ways people behave in business and how it can affect how a business works.
Marketing: Explore the world of marketing and the 4P's: Product, price, promotion and place. Learn how to develop marketing plans.
Accounting: Understand financial statements and terms. Learn how to prepare reports.
Business Law: Learn how the law applies to businesses. From contracts, to product liability and cyber law.
Leadership: Discover different leadership styles. Learn how to put these styles into practice in day to day decision making.
Ethics: Study moral issues in Business. Topics such as corporate responsibility, morality in advertising and conflicts of interest..
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO EARN AN ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREE?
Earning a Bachelor’s degree in business takes around four years if you are studying full time. Earning an MBA takes about two years. You may be able to find programs that are fast tracked and take only one year. Finally, phd programs vary in length. A DBA may take between three and five years to earn.
If you want to earn both a bachelors and masters, you may want to consider an accelerated program. An accelerated program is sometimes known known as a 4+1 degree. In this program, you may be able to earn your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a shorter amount of time.
HOW MUCH DOES AN ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREE COST?
In the 2017 school year, business admin majors paid median in state public tuition of $6,467. Median tuition for out of state private colleges was much higher, at $27,830. Of course, most schools fall in the middle. Be sure to check with each school for up to date costs. Compare the following costs for some online bachelor’s degrees in business:
|Cheapest Business Degree Programs||US News Ranking||Cost Per Credit|
(All Programs 120 Credits)
|Total Degree Cost|
|Lamar University (AACSB)||National 293-381||$248||$29,760|
|Nicholls State U (AACSB)||South 84||$275||$33,000|
|Grantham (IACBE)||Not Ranked||$295||$35,400|
|SNHU (Southern New Hampshire) (ACBSP)||North 92||$275||$38,400|
|Indiana U at Bloomington (AACSB)||National 79||$321||$38,560|
|Colorado State U – Global Camps (ACBSP)||Not Ranked||$350||$42,000|
TOP ONLINE BUSINESS SCHOOLS
In 2017 there were 331,390 business administration degree programs awarded. Generally speaking, more people earn Bachelor’s degrees than any other level. The top 10 business schools below are by number of degrees awarded.
|School||2017 Total Degrees Awarded||Grad Rate|
|University of Phoenix||9,614||17%|
|University of Maryland Global Campus||3,303||15%|
|SNHU (Southern New Hampshire)||3,105||54%|
|Western Governors University||2,663||29%|
|Colorado Technical University||2,516||29%|
|Columbia Southern University||2,597||24%|
|California State University||2,323||68%|
WHY CHOOSE AN ACCREDITED ONLINE BUSINESS DEGREE?
Accreditation can ensure your business program upholds the standards that matter to you. Accrediting agencies check programs for things like teaching quality and student outcomes.
Maintaining accreditation evolves over time. So, and up to date accreditation could be a sign that your program keeps up with the business field’s changing needs. Two such agencies for business programs are:
- The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP): ACBSP accredits business programs at all levels. They use seven standards determine quality. Leadership, strategic planning, student focus, student outcomes, faculty focus, course work and business unit performance.
- International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE): IACBE accredits business programs at all levels. Their approach involves measuring program outcomes.
Both ACBSP and IACBE are both recognized by CHEA, so both are good accrediting agencies for an online business administration degree.
Why Earn Your Business Degree Online?
Scheduling Flexibility: In self paced formats, students log into a web based course management system when they have time. Watch pre recorded lectures.
Made for Working Professionals: Online programs often offer such features as credit for live experience. They may also waive SAT, GRE and other standard tests.
Learning and Studying: While each school may use different tech, some of the options could include digital libraries, video conferencing, online student discussion boards and academic help.
As of 2017, there were 11.2 million business grads in the work force. Work for business degree holders is growing. Between 2016 and 2017, this group saw job growth of 3.01%. These included Accountants & Auditors, the role with the largest share of business grads.
What do business grads look like? For starters, a few more males (51.6%) earned business degrees than females. The average age of an worker with a business degree was 43.7 years old.
Top States for Business Professionals
|STATE||EMPLOYMENT||ANNUAL MEAN WAGE|
WHAT KIND OF JOBS CAN YOU GET WITH A BUSINESS DEGREE?
According to the BLS, Business and financial careers will grow 7% from 2018 to 2028. That’s faster than average for all jobs, and equals about 591,800 new jobs! Here are a few paths with 2018 salary info to look at if you plan to earn an online business administration degree.
Marketing Managers create interest for products or services. They do this by planning promotional campaigns and running ads on different kinds of media like TV and websites.
Avg Salary: $132,620 per year
Job growth to 2028: 8% (Faster than avg.)
Entry Level Degree: Bachelor
Management Analysts typically work to improve how companies run. They do this by finding problems that need solving. Then, propose solutions and ensure they are implemented.
Avg Salary: $86,310 per year
Job growth to 2028: 14% (Much faster than avg.)
Entry Level Degree: Bachelor
Financial managers deal with for the financial health of a company. They produce financial reports, direct investment activities, and develop plans for the long term financial goals of their company.
Avg Salary: $127,990 per year
Job growth to 2028: 16% (Much faster than avg.)
Entry Level Degree: Bachelor
Marketing Research Analyst
Marketing research analysts help companies figure out what kinds of products and services people want. They may also provide insight about pricing and where the products should be sold.
Avg Salary: $63,120 per year
Job growth to 2028: 20% (Much faster than avg.)
Entry Level Degree: Bachelor
HR managers coordinate a companies work force. This may include the hiring process as well as handling benefits. They work with others in the company to ensure top talent is hired and that all employees are working efficiently.
Avg Salary: $113,300 per year
Job growth to 2028: 7% (Faster than avg.)
Entry Level Degree: Bachelor