Military Benefits

As a member of the military, whether active or inactive, you are eligible for a variety of benefits to help you with your education. Use the following information to help you determine what you qualify for.


Eligibility Requirements

Requirements Monthly Benefits For College Or Institutional Training

Benefits Can be Used Toward

Time Limitations

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)

Certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 are either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Full Time Consecutive Service of 90 days but less than one year $547.20;Full Time Consecutive Service of One Year+ $820.80; Full Time Consecutive Service of 2+ Years $1094.40

¾ Time Consecutive Service of 90 days but less than one year $410.40; ¾ Time Consecutive Service of One Year+ $615.60; ¾ Time Consecutive Service of 2+ Years $820.80

½ Time  Consecutive Service of 90 days but less than one year $273.60; ½ Time Consecutive Service of One Year+ $410.40; ½ Time Consecutive Service of 2+ Years $547.20

All education programs, with the exception of:

National Examination / Testing Reimbursement


You will receive 36 months of full time entitlement at your given rate. A REAP participant may not use more than 48 months of entitlement under any combination of VA Educational programs.

REAP participants who separated from the Selected Reserve after completing their service contract under other than dishonorable conditions are now eligible for REAP benefits for 10 years after they are separated from the Selected Reserve.

Veterans Education Assistance Program

To be eligible, you must have the following:

- Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2700
- Completed your first period of service
- Were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.

Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the government

Apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs
Vocational flight training programs
In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.

Benefit entitlement is 1 to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions.

You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits.

If there is entitlement not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the fund will be automatically refunded.

Survivor's and Dependent's Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

To be eligible, you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power
- A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.

Full Time $925
3/4 Time $694
1/2 Time $461

Apprenticeships, and on-the-job training
If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course.
Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Tuition Assistance "Top Up" (Chapter 30)

The Individual must be:

- Approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department
- Eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits

The amount of the benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course.

College / University
Vocational school
Correspondence courses
Job training
Flight training
Licensing and certification tests Certain entrance exams

Generally, benefits are available for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Work Study Program

To be eligible, you must:
- Be a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree, vocational, or professional program.

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under the following programs:
- Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- Vocational Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans With Service Connected Disabilities (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35) Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C.
- Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State

You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the federal minimum wage or your state minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you're in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount VA pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing the same job as you.

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work.



Must be in a college or vocational program

Entrepreneurship Training

You may receive reimbursement for approved entrepreneurship courses if you’re eligible for any of these VA Education Programs:
- Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
- Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program

Dependent upon the program you choose

Any course that qualifies. You may check the qualification at the Small Business Administration.

Dependent upon the program you choose

Disclaimer: This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans benefits at