Will My College Credits Transfer?

Find Online Colleges that Accept Max Transfer Credits!

In fall 2019, per the NCES, the number of degree-seeking undergraduate students who were enrolled in postsecondary institutions as transfer-in students was 1,357,047. This is based on 3,415 institutions. Below is the list of colleges that accepted more than 5,000 transfers each! Some, may have very generous transfer policies.

  • 1. Western Governors University
  • 2. Grand Canyon, up to 90 credits
  • 3. Southern New Hampshire, up to 90 credits
  • 4. University of Maryland Global, up to 90 credits
  • 5. Lone Star College System
  • 6. University of Central Florida
  • 7. Arizona State, potentially all credits can transfer
  • 8. University of Phoenix
  • 9. Chamberlain University
  • 10. The University of Texas at Arlington
  • 11. California State University, 90+ transfer credits
  • 12. Florida International University
  • 13. University of Houston
  • 14. American Public University System, up to 90 credits

It is an amazing fact, according to a study done by the NCES, that more than a third of undergrads transfer college credits at least once! Not only that, but 11% transfer twice! If you’re thinking about a switch to a new school, be sure to know how the college credit transfer process works. This could save you both time and money. Let’s learn about how the process works.

Find an Online Degree Program

How Many Credits Can You Transfer?


One way to transfer credits may be by going to a college that has an agreement with your current school. These agreements could outline the courses at a two year school that can be transferred to a four year school. Types of transfer agreements may include:

  • State Wide: These often allow students to transfer credits from a public 2 year college to any 4 year public schools within a state. This may be a great option for students who want to stay close to home.
  • GenEd to GenEd and Core to Core: Some colleges may have approved two year degrees that may transfer to meet a colleges core general education requirements.
  • Program to Program: In this case, a school will usually have an agreement with a certain two year school. It tells the student what courses they should take to prep for a four year program at the transfer school.
  • Guaranteed Admission Agreements: Known as 2 + 2 agreements. Student may complete two years at a two year college and two years at a four year school.

Southern New Hampshire University

  • No application fee for April & June terms.
  • Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
  • Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
  • Popular Online Programs include Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…

Other Transfer Options

If the options above are not viable, it still may be possible to transfer your credits to a new school.

First, check with the school’s transfer site or admissions office. Look for their minimum and max number of transfer credits allowed. Second, learn their grade requirements, and find out if they have expiration dates on credits. Last, figure out how to determine if the content of your earned courses are equal to courses at the new school.

You may also be able to earn credit for military training or other life experience. CLEP or other exam based credits may also be accepted.

Transfer Advisers

Some colleges may have a specific person who handles transfer credits. These advisers often work one on one with transfer students. They may help prepare application forms. They may also arrange tours, or seek out mentors for students in the transfer process.


In a 2014 study, NCES found that 56% of transfer students came from a public two year college. There may be several paths one could take to transfer from community college to a four year school that minimize the loss of credits.


If you live in a state that has transfer agreements between it’s public two and four year colleges, all of your credits may transfer. If your state does not have this type of agreement, you may have to do the research to find what will transfer.


Many schools ask for a C grade or better in order to transfer credits. But, there are ways you may still be able to transfer without losing credit for those courses where you earned a D. First, check the transfer policy of the school you want to go to. They may have a flexible policy on accepting credits for D’s. If not, you may want to meet with the college to see what options are available to you.

Second, consider staying at your community college long enough to earn your Associate’s degree. After you earn that degree, you can apply to a four year school knowing that your credits may transfer in a block. When you transfer credits as a block, individual grades may not be evaluated.


Formal transfer agreements are rare between public schools in different states. Without an agreement, the transfer eligibility for each course may be assessed individually.

If you transfer from a regionally accredited community college, your new school may accept credit for the core courses in your field of study. They may also accept some electives if they directly mirror courses offered at the new school. Another option may be an online college. Some online colleges may have out of state agreements with state wide public two year colleges.


When looking for colleges that accept transfer credits many of the four year online colleges below will accept up to 90 transfer credits. This is about 75% of total credits you need for a bachelors degree. This means that you may be able to transfer all of your credits from your previous college work. Keep in mind that the info below is for undergrad transfer requests only.

Steps to Transferring Your College Credits 

Every school’s college transfer requirements may be different. That being said, there are some general steps you could follow to transfer your credits.

  1. Meet with your academic adviser: Discuss your transfer goals and how to transfer schools. Make sure it makes academic and financial sense. 
  2. Fill out a transfer application: It may not be the same kind of application that other first year students use. If you have trouble finding the right application, email or call the school’s admissions office. That’s what they’re there for. 
  3. Get good grades: College credit transfers will vary depending on the school you’re applying to, but most schools expect you to have earned a certain amount of credits in order to transfer. Some schools may also have a minimum GPA. Low GPA? No problem! Check out our list of colleges that accept low GPA transfer students!
  4. Contact the right department: For example, the science department if you’re looking to major in Biology. Find out if you are able to send your transcript for review to determine how many and which credits will transfer to your new program.
  5. Obtain letters of recommendation: Ask your professors about this early so they have enough time to complete and submit them on your behalf. You may be able to submit high school letters, but the school you’re applying to will want to hear from teachers you’ve most recently studied in at the college level.
  6. Be on Time: Being late with deadlines is not a great first impression in the transfer process.

© Education Connection 2023. All Rights Reserved.


Sources for school statistics is the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”).  So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking.  Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study.  By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities, not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

1 You must apply for a new loan each school year. This approval percentage is based on students with a Sallie Mae undergraduate loan in the 2018/19 school year who were approved when they returned in 2019/20. It does not include the denied applications of students who were ultimately approved in 2019/20.

2 This promotional benefit is provided at no cost to borrowers with new loans that disburse between May 1, 2021 and April 30, 2022. Borrowers are not eligible to activate the benefit until July 1, 2021. Borrowers who reside in, attend school in, or borrow for a student attending school in Maine are not eligible for this benefit. Chegg Study® offers expert Q&A where students can submit up to 20 questions per month. No cash value. Terms and Conditions apply. Please visit http://www.chegg.com/legal/smtermsandconditions for complete details. This offer expires one year after issuance.

Sponsored Results

Study anywhere. Study any time.

Join the millions earning their degrees online.

7 million undergraduate and graduate students were enrolled in some form of online education in 2019!*