Should I Transfer Colleges?
Table of Contents
Thinking if you should transfer colleges? You’re not alone! In fact, according NCES data, millions of students transfer each year. In the 2017 school year 3,755 schools accepted over 1.3 million transfer students!
Can you transfer from a community college to a university?
Yes, you absolutely can transfer from a community college to a university. In fact, according to a report by the National Student Clearinghouse, 33% college students who switch schools before earning a degree
Not only that but another study reports that 80% of community college students hope to transfer to a four year school.
In fact according to NCES, the majority, 56% of all transfer students come from a two year college. The remaining 44% transferred from a 4 year college.
Where do students transfer to and from?
The majority, 82%, of transfers come from public schools. 64% of total the transfers happen between public schools. Only 18% of students transfer from a public school to a private school.
It is interesting to note, that 92% of transfers happened between regionally accredited schools. Only 3.3% transfered from a national to a regionally accredited school.
Beyond that, many more students, 82% to be exact, stay in state when they transfer. A mere 18% transfer to an out of state 4 year school.
Myths about transfer students
Myth #1: Colleges don’t care about transfer students.
Busted: 66% of four year colleges said transfer students will be more important than ever in their recruitment strategy.
Myth #2: Credits don’t transfer between colleges.
Busted: About 33% of students were able to transfer all previously earned credits, while 24% of students transferred some credits.
Myth #3: Students who transfer rarely end up graduating.
Busted: 61% of full time students at pubic schools earned their degrees after transfer.
Reasons to Transfer Colleges
- Cost – When college breaks the bank, some students look elsewhere.
- Social life – Students may seek better parties, Greek life, or likeminded friends.
- Homesickness – Some students transfer to be closer to loved ones.
- Relationships – Painful breakups or roommate troubles send some students packing.
- New Major – Changing fields may mean finding a new school.
- Academics – Students facing too-easy or too-hard classes may look for a just-right school.
- Prestige – Renowned programs and famous faculty may attract transfer students.
- Campus culture – Don’t fit in? Maybe another college is more your style.
- Other – Sometimes life throws a curveball, like illness or personal problems.
Want to use this infographic on your site? Just use the code below!