Should I Transfer Colleges?

should i transfer colleges

Should I Transfer Colleges?

Thinking if you should transfer colleges? You’re not alone! In fact, according NCES data, millions of students transfer each year. In the 2017 school year 3,755 schools accepted over 1.3 million transfer students!

Can you transfer from a community college to a university?

Yes, you absolutely can transfer from a community college to a university. In fact, according to a report by the National Student Clearinghouse, 33% college students who switch schools before earning a degree

Not only that but another study reports that 80% of community college students hope to transfer to a four year school.

In fact according to NCES, the majority, 56% of all transfer students come from a two year college. The remaining 44% transferred from a 4 year college.

Where do students transfer to and from?

The majority, 82%, of transfers come from public schools. 64% of total the transfers happen between public schools. Only 18% of students transfer from a public school to a private school.

It is interesting to note, that 92% of transfers happened between regionally accredited schools. Only 3.3% transfered from a national to a regionally accredited school.

Beyond that, many more students, 82% to be exact, stay in state when they transfer. A mere 18% transfer to an out of state 4 year school.

Myths about transfer students

Myth #1: Colleges don’t care about transfer students.

Busted: 66% of four year colleges said transfer students will be more important than ever in their recruitment strategy.

Myth #2: Credits don’t transfer between colleges.

Busted: About 33% of students were able to transfer all previously earned credits, while 24% of students transferred some credits.

Myth #3: Students who transfer rarely end up graduating.  

Busted: 61% of full time students at pubic schools earned their degrees after transfer.

Reasons to Transfer Colleges

  • Cost – When college breaks the bank, some students look elsewhere.
  • Social life – Students may seek better parties, Greek life, or likeminded friends.
  • Homesickness – Some students transfer to be closer to loved ones.
  • Relationships – Painful breakups or roommate troubles send some students packing.
  • New Major – Changing fields may mean finding a new school.
  • Academics – Students facing too-easy or too-hard classes may look for a just-right school.
  • Prestige –  Renowned programs and famous faculty may attract transfer students.
  • Campus culture – Don’t fit in? Maybe another college is more your style.
  • Other – Sometimes life throws a curveball, like illness or personal problems.

Want to use this infographic on your site? Just use the code below!

Southern New Hampshire University

  • Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
  • Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
  • Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
  • Offering over 200 online degree

Popular Programs

Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…

Sanhu-university

visit school

Find an Online College That Is Perfect For You

AD
Niche No Essay Scholarship


Financial Aid Info

© Education Connection 2020. All Rights Reserved.

Sources for school statistics is the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”).  So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking.  Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study.  By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.